Somerset County Public Schools
Human Resource Associate
Full time opening exists for an experienced Human Resources professional to assist a very busy office with daily personnel related tasks.
Provides high level administrative and clerical support to the Human Resources Department ensuring tasks are performed accurately and efficiently.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned by the Human Resources Supervisor or another administrator.
- Answers general Human Resources questions from the staff and general public.
- Keeps accurate records of department finances via database and provides reporting as requested. Submits requests for payment to Finance.
- Orders and maintains supplies for the department.
- Coordinates HR meetings and interviews including scheduling appointments, room set up and agendas.
- Prepares various information and statistical reports at local, state and federal levels as requested.
- Keeps statistics and prepares reports related to staffing as requested.
- Assists in preparing handbooks and general correspondence as necessary.
- Makes travel arrangements for HR staff as requested.
- Maintains the departmental filing system ensuring confidentiality of records.
- Manages the fingerprinting/background checking of all applicants.
- Assists at recruiting fairs as requested.
- Assists in the maintaining of the HR database. Enters employee changes and new hire information.
- Sends out necessary HR related correspondence to staff and applicants.
- Conducts new employee orientation ensuring new hire has reviewed policies and procedures for SCPS.
- Tracks classified employee performance appraisals ensuring that all are received by appropriate deadlines.
- Assists with updating and maintains staff directory.
- Serves as back up receptionist for the Board as requested.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
A high school diploma or GED is required; some post high school level administrative/clerical coursework is preferred. Must have at least five years clerical experience or be able to demonstrate required skills.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
A valid driver’s license is preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional and trade journals and strategic planning documents. Ability to write letters and memorandums, handbooks and procedure manuals as directed. Ability to effectively present information orally and in writing to groups of administrators, vendors, staff, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and interest. Ability to apply concepts of basic accounting principles.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software; Project Management software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products is preferred. Must have good keyboarding skills. Pursues training and development opportunities to expand job knowledge as requested.
Other Skills and Abilities
Must be able to work with minimal supervision and possess strong organizational, time management and self motivation skills. Must have working knowledge of all office equipment. Must have good interpersonal skills and be able to communicate with a variety of individuals with different backgrounds and cultures.
Must be dependable. Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent. Arrives to work and meetings on time. Must be able to travel to out of town meetings as requested. Previous experience working in a Human Resources environment is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and use hands to handle or feel. The employee is regularly required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The individual must be able to adapt to long periods of time at the computer station. The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Location/Region: Westover, MD