Summary: The Assistant General Manager works with the General Manager to ensure the strategic and tactical operation of the Distribution Center and any off-site facilities. The Assistant General Manager assists in overseeing all duties and functions within the facility, and in developing strategies and objectives that maximize productivity and leverage expenses. Is responsible for ensuring a continuous stream of talent to sustain organizational growth and improve operations by attracting, retaining, and developing team members and meet their needs for career growth.
The following Departments will be under his/her direct or indirect supervision: Inbound Operations (Receiving and Reclamation), Replenishment, Outbound Operations (Selection, Shipping and PDQ, E-Commerce), Inventory Control, Transportation, Customer Service Associates, and General Office Associates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Collaborate with the DC General Manager to evaluate the effectiveness of work methods, procedures, controls, and staffing to achieve accurate and timely movement of product and recommends alternative solutions as needed
- Assist General Manager with the responsibility over a 500,000+ sq. ft. warehouse and 350+ Team Members
- Oversee the Warehouse Management System(s) (WMS), and Red Prairie (RP) systems in the warehouse; effectively communicate with management team regarding training, machine operation, and problem solving on the systems
- Manage and ensure inventory is received appropriately and efficiently and safely processed
- Coach, train, and develop management team providing both informal and formal job performance feedback
- Consistently monitor all safety procedures and ensure that all corresponding personal protection equipment (PPE) is utilized
- Assure that daily, weekly and monthly reports to Corporate are delivered on time and 100% accurate
- Responsible for hiring, interviewing, performance counseling, performance appraisal, and record keeping process for assigned Team Members
- Maintain a strong working relationship with management team and other related corporate partners; assist and resolve issues as required; actively participate in conference calls as needed
- Monitor the proper maintenance and organization of all warehouse to create a perfect safe working environment
- Maintain a union free work environment that demonstrates a fair and respectful workplace for all Team Members
- Other tasks and projects as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel software applications
- Strong working knowledge of Warehouse Management (WMS) and Red Prairie (RP) systems
- Solid understanding of business mathematics
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with Team Members at all levels
- Good understanding of Supply Chain management and knowledge of the automotive industry and its market factors
- Proven ability to develop actionable strategies that create real value to internal and external customers; strong problem solving and decision making skills, and capacity to forecast results
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to present information and interact effectively across all levels of the organization; ability to cultivate relationships with key stakeholders across functions to achieve business objectives and drive strategic change; proven track record of establishing strong relationships and experience in leading complex cross-functional teams
- Ability to work various shifts, departments and locations as required, including overtime, weekends and holidays
- Flexibility to relocate as required
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree required; and five to seven years of related leadership experience in Supply Chain/Distribution Management; or equivalent combination of education and experience
This position directly supervises one or more Operations Managers, Department Managers and Team Managers. Assist the GM with carrying out managerial responsibilities in accordance with the organizations policies, procedures and applicable state and federal laws. Train direct reports as needed. Responsible for the strategic and tactical operation of the facility. Write and communicate performance appraisals for his subordinates and oversee the timeline for the rest of the facility. Reward and counsel Team Members as appropriate.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Post-hire certifications may be required to comply with safety standards as mandated by law or to operate machinery or equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, reach with arms, talk and hear. The employee will be frequently required to stop, kneel and crouch. The employee occasionally will be required to sit, climb (18+ft), or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; and occasional exposure to high places, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually high.
- Action Driven: Has a strong desire to succeed. Focuses on the timely completion of a goal or outcome. Sets specific measurable improvement goals and matches resources, tools, and action plans to the requirements thus accomplishing success. Never satisfied with the status quo.
- Customer Driven: Develops strategies that help AAP create real value to our customers being internal or external. All decisions taken are driven by the needs of our customers.
- Effective Communication: Has the ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization and is able to adjust message according to the audience. Uses communication as a tool to send and receive information. Is able to verbalize ideas effectively in a concise way.
- Acts with Integrity: Always acts in an ethical and honest way following Advance Auto Parts value system. Is fair, takes responsibility for actions, does what is right and shoes respect for others. Shows strong moral principles in all business dealings.
- Industry and Business Knowledge: Has a comprehensive understanding of the Advance Auto Parts business. Is well versed in AAP products and services. Full knowledge of the automotive industry and or the function he/she is assigned to. Know the competition and other factors in the market that might pose an impact to Advance Auto Parts negatively or positively.
- Managing People: Is able to inspire and direct people to a desired outcome. Sets clear and specific goals and follows up on them providing timely feedback. Coaches and counsels according to the performance level. Is quick to recognize good performance and not afraid to address proactively marginal performance.
- Problem Solving and decision making: Considers the positive and the negative of all viable alternatives before making a decision including the capacity to forecast results. Is creative in the process finding solutions to simple or complex business situations.
- Team Oriented: Achieves results through teams by using effective delegation and motivation techniques. Recognizes that an inspired and well managed team is the only road to achieve success that exceeds expectations. Also has ability to promote and manage individual judgment for the benefit of the team.
- LEADERSHIP: Previous change management experience driving, influencing and inspiring change and continuous process improvement through communication at all levels.
Location/Region: Wayne, NJ