EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
The mission of the Semantic Enrichment Manager is to provide operational leadership for the Semantic Enrichment team—consisting of ontologists, taxonomists, and machine learning specialists—through improving workflows, reporting, and systems, fostering collaboration and career development, and leading strategically important projects.
• Collaborate with the Data and Semantic Enrichment Director on key initiatives and projects to keep in-line with the EBSCO Features and Epics.
• Lead the semantic enrichment team’s machine learning, taxonomy, ontology, and knowledge organization initiatives by connecting efforts to EBSCO priority features and epics.
• Lead the team in SAFe practices and lean principles.
• Work with Data and Semantic Enrichment Director to foster machine learning, taxonomy, and ontology education, workshops, and outreach to EBSCO Information Industries as needed.
• Collaborate with the Abstracting and Indexing and Quality Control teams to determine which taxonomy terms are appropriate candidates for machine learning classification, updating to a post-coordinated pragmatic indexing method, as well as identifying ontological relationships.
• Lead the team in working with subject matter experts to identify candidate documents for machine learning training sets and term contextualization.
• Insure processed content meets industry best practice, data governance, and standardization of indexing and term format and assignment to metadata.
• Establish and configure workflows and models for EBSCO content, value streams, and markets.
• Manage reporting for machine learning output using industry standard metrics, including precision, recall, accuracy, and F-measure, as well as taxonomy, training set, and ontology mapping.
• Adjust machine learning, taxonomy, and ontology processes as needed to increase performance.
• Work with Cogito and other vendors and customer support to resolve issues.
• Provide suggestions for taxonomy/ontology development or improvement.
• Moves others to Action—Translates the vision into day-to-day activities and behaviors; guides and motivates others to take actions that support the vision.
• Technical prowess: Able to quickly get to know our products, processes and business needs to a sufficient level to drive projects, improvements and product enhancements.
• Delegation: Delegates assignments to the appropriate teams members based on their skills, roles and interest. Allocates decision-making authority and/or task responsibility to the appropriate teams and/or individuals.
• Subject Knowledge: Familiarity with best practices in taxonomy development and management and/or Natural Language Processing.
• Communication & Presentation: Communicates and presents ideas clearly and with confidence. Delivers presentations and status updates suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
• Team Player: Fosters a team based culture within the Taxonomy team and across departments. Develops a supportive and helpful culture for assistance in projects and daily support interactions.
• Continuous Improvement: Continually focused on improving the responsiveness and quality of the solutions delivered.
• Enthusiasm: Exhibits high energy, passion and intensity in completing work objectives.
• Master’s degree in computer science, information science, library science, or a related discipline.
• 2+ years in Agile and/or technology or data project management
• 2+ years’ experience using machine learning for automated and semi-automated text classification and extraction.
• 3+ years’ experience managing a taxonomy, ontology, or controlled vocabulary team.
• Understanding of machine learning principles, metrics, and best practices such as f-measure.
• Knowledge of taxonomy/ontology principles, formats, and best practices such as SKOS, W3C, ISO 25964, ANSI Z39.19, JATS.
• Familiarity working with multiple standard document formats, including XML, HTML, and PDF.
• Attended an iSchool
• Experience in computational linguistics, NLP, or linguistics
• Knowledge of publishing world and processes
• Knowledge of library and metadata world and processes
• Graduate Degree
• Information science, library science, computer science, or a related discipline
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Boston Job Segment:
Developer, Computer Science, Manager, Linguist, XML, Technology, Management, Bilingual Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Ipswich, MA (US)